Not since 1970 did Queen Elizabeth cancel Easter services on Maundy Thursday, but this year Prince Charles and his wife Camilla had to leave without the Queen present.
In the last six months, the queen of England has only appeared in public once. It was during a memorial service for her late husband Prince Philip, last month.
– He has undone everything else he always followed. You can compare it to if King Harald had announced his abdication by May 17 and the opening of the Storting, says historian and writer Trond Norén Isachsen.
Maybe he’s the last one
She believes the British media in a whole new way have begun to relate to the fact that the queen won’t live much longer.
– One notice there is fairly widespread concern in the UK for Queen Elizabeth’s health. He became very weak and lost a lot of weight, said Isachsen.
After a memorial service for Prince Philip, British journalist Dominic Lawson wrote that while “God save the Queen” was being sung, and the queen stood there with tears in her eyes, she thought that this might be her last public appearance.
Isachsen also believes that participation in public events for Queen Elizabeth is coming to an end, and he prefers to take things digitally.
– There are many indications that he is now retiring more and leaving big things to his son. In the past six months, his health has deteriorated quite rapidly.
– Only baby food
The historian himself was in London recently, and said the atmosphere in the country was marked by fear for the queen’s health.
– People have a bit of a feeling that when he disappears, then everything falls apart. Many Commonwealth countries have made it clear that they will go their own way. One might also think that Scotland and Northern Ireland would leave the union, said Isachsen.
Because the queen has reigned for 70 years, and no one under the age of 75 can imagine another head of state.
– Prince Charles is not very popular, and you may feel that when he disappears the cards will be dealt again.
Historians say, however, that there is little doubt about how popular the queen was.
“I think the reaction when Princess Diana died would just be baby food, compared to when Queen Elizabeth disappeared,” he said.
“Social media guru. Total beer fanatic. Tv ninja. Typical coffee fan. Amateur entrepreneur. Unapologetic food scholar.”