Privacy and data storage
Data storage and logging
By visiting this website, some technical data about your internet connection and browser is stored. This data can be categorized as follows:
- Cookies in your browser
- Technical info on server
- User information in database
Cookies are a mechanism by which your browser can save the information it receives from a web page, and then send it back to the web page again later. This is done automatically without the user having to think about it.
Cookies can have several functions, such as tracking your settings, which users you are logged in with, what you are accessing, helping to ensure that you receive the correct content, tracking ad impressions, and more.
Cookies make it possible to track these and other settings over time, making information more accessible during repeated visits to the website. Cookies are also used to temporarily handle user-specific information when visiting different parts of the same website.
Cookies are automatically saved by your browser as a small text file on your computer. You can change the settings for how cookies are handled in your browser.
Cookies can be provided by all types of content on the website, be it text pages, images, and others. Cookies are only sent back to the website from which you got them, not to other websites.
This website stores cookies to handle three levels of functionality:
- Essential cookies are used to track user information, access, some personal settings and more. Without this, the site will not function properly.
- Analytics cookies are used to track website traffic, which sections are most popular, which sections are used the most, and much more. Some of these are third party cookies provided by external service providers. Analytics function cookies are used to improve the website (which is constantly evolving), but they are not essential to the website’s functionality.
- Advertising cookies are used by internal advertising systems and third parties to track and track ad impressions.
There is a legal requirement that this information be made available to you as a user of the website that uses the cookie.
When you visit a website, the web server will log some technical info such as your IP address, which browser you are using and the time each time you request data from the server, i.e. when you click on an internal link and load a new website or related data such as fonts. , images, various scripts required for the website to work.
This data is only stored for a certain period of time for troubleshooting and error correction in the system, and is never shared with newspaper employees or third parties.
We store some information about you as a user. No sensitive information is stored on this website, but the simple contact information you provide when creating a user account or purchasing a service in an online newspaper will be stored in our database. This is required to provide services to you. This data is deleted when you delete your user account.
Who do we store data about?
If you visit this site without registering a user account or subscription, the following data about you will be stored:
- Some technical information such as IP address and browser are stored in web server logs. This technical information is stored for 180 days, and is necessary for the service to function and to ensure security. This data is never disclosed to newspaper employees or third parties.
- Google Analytics counts page views to maintain visitor statistics. This information is anonymous and cannot be used to track you.
- Some third-party services such as downloaded fonts and scripts may log your IP address and other information on remote servers.
- Cookies are set to identify you as a user when browsing web pages. It will be deleted when you close the browser, or at the latest after 360 minutes of inactivity.
Login users and customers:
If you choose to create a user account and/or subscribe to an online newspaper, the following information will also be stored about you:
- The name, address and other contact information you provide in the registration process. This data is stored until you delete your user account.
- Information about your subscription, e.g. when it was purchased, how it was paid for, the few digits of your credit card, the duration of the subscription and what subscriptions you have. This data is stored until the user account is deleted.
- Simple data about which articles you have read and how many articles you have read. This is used to improve our content and will be removed if you delete your user account.
NB: Once the data is deleted, it is still possible to keep it for up to 180 days in a backup. Backups are stored with high security and restricted access, and are necessary to troubleshoot and ensure the safety of users and computer systems.
As a user of this website, you may contact the newspaper to have your data shared and/or deleted.
If you have a user account / subscription, you can log in to your user profile and download the stored data, as well as delete your user account and related data at any time.
You can also clear all local data in your browser. The procedure for this varies between different browsers and devices.
Recommendation: Using the EU YourOnlineChoices.com service, you can to some extent control how different ad providers track you, as well as read lots of great tips on how to customize which ads are shown. Open YourOnlineChoices.com in a new window.
NB: Some important system data contained in, for example, web server logs will not be able to be deleted upon request, but these will be deleted automatically after a while according to the above information.
If you press REFUSE, no cookies will be stored in your browser and no data about you will be entered into our database. It also means we can’t tell if you’ve agreed or not, so you’ll see this warning on every page you visit. Technical information (web server logs) will retain your IP address and browser information, but these will continue to be deleted as described above.
“Web specialist. Incurable twitteraholic. Explorer. Organizer. Internet nerd. Avid student.”