On Friday, Sir David Anthony Andrew Amess was stabbed several times. Amess was attacked while in a church and later died of her injuries. He is there to meet his constituents. Amess has been a member of the British Parliament since 1983.
– We ask people to put their disagreements aside and show kindness and love to everyone. This is the only way forward. Get rid of hatred and work towards unity. The Amess family wrote in a statement.
A 25-year-old man has been arrested and charged with murder. A few years ago he was sent to Prevent, which is a British program working on the deradicalization of people. He should not have participated for so long in a voluntary program. It reports channel BBC. The man’s father was a former adviser to the Somali prime minister. The father said he was traumatized after what his son did. Police said the attack was an act of terrorism.
In the UK, it is common for politicians to travel to their constituency to meet people. Priti Patel said she would now consider whether politicians should have protection from the police when they meet voters. He is the British Home Secretary.
On Saturday, several politicians from the Conservative Party voted to meet voters as planned. They will not show that they are afraid.
– We can’t let incidents like this ruin the relationship between politicians and voters. That’s what Alec Shelbrooke wrote on the Twitter blog service. She was from the same party as Amess.
- On Friday, British politician David Amess was stabbed several times.
- He later died from his injuries.
- A 25-year-old man has been arrested and charged with murder.