Max Verstappen (24) won the sprint race on Saturday and thus increased his lead in the WC summary. As such, he also got the best starting track at Sunday’s Austrian Grand Prix.
Aftenposten collaborates with VG-sporten. Therefore, as a reader of Aftenposten, you also get articles and services created by VG.
– He controlled the race from start to finish, Viaplay’s Atle Gulbrandsen stated about the Dutchman.
– I expect a tougher duel on Sunday. “The car is good, and we’re very competitive this weekend,” Verstappen said in an arena interview aired on Viaplay.
Max Verstappen had the best starting track and took the start – in front of two Ferraris. He quickly gained a seconds lead over Charles Leclerc and Carlos Sainz. Ferrari drivers fought deadly duels – something Verstappen used to abandon.
– Ferrari management may not like the two of them fighting in this way, said Atle Gulbrandsen on Viaplay broadcast.
– There may not be a good atmosphere between the two, says colleague Stein Pettersen.
In the interview, Leclerc was asked if it was possible to work with Sainz to try to beat Verstappen on Sunday:
– I hope so, Leclerc answered and disappeared quickly.
Fortunately for Ferrari, the two avoided a collision.
– Max is fast today. “Hopefully we can push it a bit more on Sunday,” said Charles Leclerc.
Powerful Haas Driver
Haas’s Kevin Magnussen and Mick Schumacher had a good starting point after qualifying and continued to impress in the race itself. Lewis Hamilton struggled for a long time in 9th place – a place behind Schumacher. The fight between them is the best entertainment of racing. In the end, Hamilton did it – two laps before the finish.
Fernando Alonso had problems with the car even before the start and never started.
The race lasted 23 laps, and the top eight earned World Cup points. The list of results in the sprint race determines the starting order at Sunday’s Austrian Grand Prix.
World Cup Summary:
1. Max Verstappen, Red Bull 189, 2. Sergio Perez, Red Bull 151, 3. Charles Leclerc, Ferrari 145, 4. Carlos Sainz, Ferrari 133, 5. George Russell, Mercedes 116, 6. Lewis Hamilton, Mercedes 94.
“Freelance bacon fanatic. Amateur internet scholar. Award-winning pop culture fan.”