Erling Braut Haaland’s billion-dollar saga seems to have reached a temporary end. This week, Manchester City confirmed they had agreed a deal with Borussia Dortmund for the 21-year-old Norwegian.
The Norwegian has been linked with a number of big clubs in the past year. Among them is also Dortmund’s arch-rival and older brother in Germany: Bayern Munich.
In April, Bayern made it clear they had no interest in the Norwegian super striker. In no time, Bayern director Karl-Heinz Rummenigge and sporting director Hasan Salihamidzic left. Picture and FIFA and spoken about the same sentence:
– I don’t know where the rumors came from. I can only say one thing: We have the best player in the world, Robert Lewandowski, in that position with a contract until 2023.
The final argument is not to buy Fjørtoft. In Viasat’s «Premier League Pod» podcast, Fjørtoft claims that this is a lie from Bayern.
His explanation came in an extension to a question about whether Haaland had spoken to the club’s coach in question:
– I will assume that Erling Braut Haaland has spoken to Pep (Guardiola, Manchester City coach). This is certainly something that no one wants to confirm, as it is an open secret that they do. Bayern Munich won’t even admit they’ve spoken to “Team Haaland”, Jan ge Fjørtoft said on a new podcast.
– But they have? asked the host.
– Yes. It suddenly started leaking that there was a meeting in March, and maybe in the future other things would leak. I just realized that Bayern say so, and that they have Pinocchio’s nose, the knowledgeable 55-year-old explained.
Explanation of bluff
So why are Bayern Munich so eager to hide their tracks? The explanation is precisely Lewandowski’s super striker, Fjørtoft explains on the podcast:
– The reason they don’t show up so much is because they know that if they were so worried about getting Haaland they would hurt the best striker in the world – Robert Lewandowski. The nightmare for Bayern was that they didn’t get Haaland and Lewandowski was angry and wanted to leave.
PS. Haaland’s transition won’t be official until July. On Saturday, he played his final game for the German club at home against Hertha Berlin.
“Amateur analyst. Zombie geek. Hardcore troublemaker. Internet expert. Incurable twitter fanatic.”