It seems that more and more are going wrong inside Manchester United. According to club legend Paul Scholes, Jesse Lingard, 29, is said to have said the atmosphere in the dressing room was “catastrophic”.
Aftenposten collaborates with VG-sporten. Therefore, as a reader of Aftenposten, you also get articles and services created by VG.
Scholes’ remarks came after Saturday’s 1-3 loss to Arsenal, which in practice ended Manchester United’s hopes for Champions League football next season.
– It’s a closet disaster. I spoke to Jesse Lingard the other day, and I’m sure he doesn’t mind me sharing this, says the man with 718 official games for the “red devils”, who now works as an expert at British BT Sports.
Manchester United manager Ralf Rangnick was confronted by Lingard’s alleged statements following the defeat to Arsenal. The 63-year-old man looked amazed by what was served to him.
– I do not know. Then you almost have to ask Jesse Lingard. After a game like today, of course there is a big disappointment in the dressing room. For me it’s normal, said the German to the same channel.
Midfielder Scott McTominay gets emotional in interview with BT Sports after losing to Arsenal. Scots believe apologies should end.
– We dominated the start of the second half, but they got the result. That’s how it is for us at the moment. There were a lot of problems with players, support staff and higher up in the system. We have to be able to concentrate on what will happen on the pitch. It’s about pride, says McTominay.
Every player should look at himself in the mirror, said the message from the 25-year-old.
– There’s a lot going on right now. But you can’t go home and settle for conceding three away goals against Arsenal, regardless of whether they deserved to win or not. We have lost most of the last two months. Even though we played a semi-good game today, the belief in ourselves was not there, he said.
With Erik ten Hag on his way up the ladder at Old Trafford, it seems that more and more stones have to be left at the club. Rangnick, who will take on a consulting role after this season, stated after the defeat to Liverpool in midweek that as many as ten players could disappear from the club in the summer.
– They just want the season to end. “They want to move on, but it’s impossible to hide like that,” said Scholes after the big loss at Anfield.
With four games left to play, Manchester United are in 6th place in the Premier League. At the time of writing, there are six points above Arsenal in 4th place, but the Manchester club have one more game to play.
“Amateur analyst. Zombie geek. Hardcore troublemaker. Internet expert. Incurable twitter fanatic.”