GREEN BAY (VG) (Bayern Munich – Manchester City 0–1) Erling Braut Haaland (22) needed just 12 minutes to score in his first game for Manchester City.
Aftenposten collaborated with VG-sporten. Therefore, as a reader of Aftenposten, you also get articles and services created by VG.
Haaland’s goal came after a beautiful City attack in which Jack Grealish picked up the ball from Kevin De Bruyne, released it to the side and put it in front of goal. There, Haaland came on and scored his first goal in a light blue Manchester City shirt.
Then the training match against Bayern Munich was only 11 minutes 44 seconds.
– He’s good at scoring goals, said Pep Guardiola.
– He scores goals, which is important. He always uses the ball like this in front of the goalkeeper, continued the Manchester City manager.
The match was stopped one minute after the goal. As the players rushed to the locker room to seek shelter from the lightning, VG filmed the dialogue between Grealish and Haaland.
– What did I say? Grealish said to Haaland as the players walked down the corridor to the dressing room.
– That’s why I’m here, Haaland smirked.
– I told him right before the game. “When I got down the line, was at the first post,” Grealish said.
Manchester City’s match against German giants Bayern Munich was originally supposed to start at 01:00, but was postponed due to lightning in Green Bay. A hurricane had been reported a few days earlier, and it had unfortunately hit.
Kick-off was delayed by more than a quarter of an hour and 80,000 spectators at Lambeau Field were asked to leave the stands for safety reasons.
When the match started a quarter of an hour late, it was only a short time before Haaland showed himself. Jærbuen put in several crosses in the warm-up, and before 12 minutes had passed in a City shirt, he positioned himself perfectly at the first post and slipped Grealish’s cross from the left flank into the net.
1 of 4Photo: Justin Casterline / AFP
By that time, lightning had struck several times over the heads of everyone present in the NFL Green Bay Packers home arena. After the match, the players were also told to leave the pitch and go to the locker room.
The match restarted at 02:25, about an hour after being canceled. Then with 27 added minutes before there was a five minute break. The second half was then played in a new 40 minutes.
Shortly before halftime, Haaland again put the ball into the net, but the goal was ruled out for offside.
Jærbuen was substituted at half-time – after 40 minutes – for the reigning Premier League champions. In the first training match of the summer against Club América, he remained sidelined for the entire match.
– It’s the first 40 minutes he’s played, and that’s only after four or five training sessions. It took him weeks, looks like he can’t play 180 minutes. He needs time, said Guardiola.
– He has trained really well, and looks like a very nice guy with his feet planted on the ground. He is an important signing.
The game against Bayern Munich is Manchester City’s last training game of the summer. Next Saturday, Liverpool await in the Community Shield, before the Premier League kicks off against West Ham on Sunday 7 August.
“Amateur analyst. Zombie geek. Hardcore troublemaker. Internet expert. Incurable twitter fanatic.”